Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Behind the scene of illustration

Yesterday i finished the illustration for Children's Media Yearbook 2013. The yearbook will be out in january and will include different researches and articles about children and media. It's the initiative of the Children's Media Foundation.
And i'm glad to invite you behind the scene of this illustration. 

detail of the whole illustration

I always start with the very rough sketch in my sketchbook. Lots of rough sketches. The topic of this illustration was "Children and Media 2013". So i've set the timer for 15 minutes and the task was to brainstorm the topic. It's never perfect, but the goal is to put down as much ideas as you can, even if they seem too stupid or too simple or too crazy. I think it's important to keep yours inner critic away for that moment. Then i picked couple of concepts i liked more.

Step 1: super-rough pencil sketch 

I scanned my pencil drawing and opened it in Photoshop, where i drew some more details. I used this digital sketch to show to my client among other ideas i have had for the topic "Children and Media" (normally i will make the digital sketch look much nicer, before i would show it to the client, but the deadline was too close and i needed to show something to give them an idea). 

Step 02: rough digital sketch

 I decided to draw this illustration in Photoshop using Cintiq 21. It gave me more control over it and made my life easier. This drawing has lots of details and it's nice to be able to move them around. It took me about 2 hours to finish it.

Step 3: ta-da-da! the final illustration

And now i can't wait to see it in the Children's Media Yearbook! 

2 comments:

  1. I love your work! I found it through Illustration Friday and I've really enjoyed looking through your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It's good to know, that posting works on illustration friday does help people to find other people =) And i'm glad that you enjoy my blog! =)

      Delete