Sunday, 27 January 2013

About art materials i use

A good artist can create a masterpiece even with a finger with ketchup on a tissue. That's right, but i think it helps to have nice brushes, pencils and paper. It's an essential part of the process. I would like to show you, what i'm using for drawing.

Drawings from my sketchbook


Watercolor pencils
I have a box of 36 watercolor pencils Albrecht Durer Fabber-Castell. I use them for character design work mostly. The colors blend nicely into each other, you can make the contour very soft and it's easy to adjust the shadows. First i draw contours and shade with pencils, then use the wet brush, then adjust shadows with pencils, then pass with wet brush again and in the end i add a bit of texture with pencils.

I love watercolor pencils, their colors blend nicely into each other


Watercolor + pen
I have a small Winsor and Newton watercolor pocket box. I like mixing colors, so i'm happy with my 12 colors. I rarely use the color from the pan, i always mix them, even just a little bit. I start with quick pencil sketch, then use Micron 01 to draw the outline, then i erase the pencil (Micron pens have great Pigma ink, which will resist the eraser, but wait 5 minutes to let it dry, it always depends on the type of paper). And finally the best part is to color everything with watercolors!
Maybe you will be surprised but i use only 2 brushes. One is already included in my pocket watercolor box and another one is synthetic 2 Pro Arte 009.

I always have a box of my watercolors with me

Brushpen + pen 
I use ABT Tombow Dual Brush Pen and i have only two colors: dark plum (for dark shading) and purple sage (for light shadows). For the outline i use Pilot G-Tech Ink Pen 0.4 (wait 5 minutes, the ink should dry first, before you put final touches with Brush pen). I like keeping things simple, it's why i have only 2 Brush pens now. The nice thing about brush pens - you can blend the colors into each other. I use this technique while i travel. It's quick and looks nice.

The fastest way to sketch something

Gouache 
Sincerely i don't use it very often. Neiko (amazing illustrator i follow on Instagram) was doing cute drawings with gouache and she advised me Winsor and Newton Designer Gouache. I have Introductory set (10 colors). Occasionally i use it for drawing simple things, like this corgi!

I use gouache for simple characters such as this corgi

Paper
Paper is super important for me. After the series of trials and errors i made my choice. The best sketchbook so far is Travel Handbook Journal. The paper is good for watercolor, gouache, ink, pen, brush pen, basically for everything. If you find something better - please email me!
For pencil sketches i use A5 Canson XL Sketchpad or small Muji Sketchbook. For watercolor pencils i use A4 Daler Rowney 150 g/m.

Paper is very important for me


Ipad + Stylus + Paper app
I travel a lot. While i'm waiting check-in or boarding, or even when i'm on the plane, i draw on my Ipad using Wacom Stylus and Paper app. I like the colors in this app and the choice of brushes. It's great for a quick sketch of something cute.

Ipad + Stylus + Paper app


Happy drawing everyone! I hope this post is useful for you and feel free to ask me any questions you have, just drop me an email.


14 comments:

  1. Hey, I agree with you Eugenia, and i like your drawings a lot!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice Post! And you are right i am surprised by such a limited stock of materials. And i am surprised by your gorgeous drawings. Especially your dogs are adorable, e.g. the one for "illustration friday". Thanks for showing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are welcome! I put more stuff in instagram (actually everyday). Do you have it? I woul dlike to follow you as well. My is - http://instagram.com/neverland_dictator

      Delete
  3. Came here from Illustration Friday - I felt sad about your dog going to heaven...
    But glad I found your blog - love your illustrations and thank you for sharing your materials!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, unfortunately it did...
      Thank you for kind words!

      Delete
  4. Thanks, guys! I'm happy you liked the post and my drawings!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anyway keep up the world of warcraft gold excellent quality writing, it is rare to see a gold wow buy great blog like this one today.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations for this wonderful reading article. I found it very informative and interesting too, I think you are a brilliant writer. I have bookmarked your blog and will return in the future. I want to encourage you to continue that marvelous work, have a great daytime!I am a china tour lover,You can learn more: China tourism | China travel service | China travel

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hanbridge is the best place of Mandarin learning in Shenzhen. The quality of our staff, our unique teaching methodology and our custom-designed courseware make our school more effective than our competitors.



    More Chinese learning tags : Chinese Online Learning | Chinese Online Courses | study mandarin online

    ReplyDelete